Have you ever heard of speech acts? We do act with our words. To a great deal our impact depends on what type of verbal actions is dominant in our speech. To me the following categorization makes sense:
- statements / allegations / assertions / expression
- requests / wishes / petitions / invitations
- offers / promises / commitments
- assessments / judgements / comparisons / accusations / complaints
- rejections / setting limits / refusals
- apologies / appeasements / thank
Which category do you use the most?
Which one at least?
Why is that?
Which one would you like to be the major in your verbal actions?
What effect would this change have?